Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Who was Rachel Corrie?



The interview above, with the actual Rachel Corrie, occurred just two days prior to her death after being crushed by an Israeli bulldozer in 2003. That tragedy inspired, of course, My Name is Rachel Corrie, the monologue culled from her diary, emails, and statements by Alan Rickman and Katherine Viner. The script just finished a joint run at the New Rep with Pieces, a one-woman show by Zohar Tirosh about her own service in the Israeli Defense Forces (Corrie's nemesis). This pairing, with the issues of political and artistic "balance" it raises, has deeply interested me, although I decided not to write about it until I had the chance to see both plays (Corrie was sold out until late in its run). I'm currently discussing my thoughts and concerns with Meron Langsner, Playwright in Residence at the New Rep and one of the coordinators of the talkbacks, discussions, and readings which occurred around the performances to foster a dialogue with the theatre's audience. More to come about the questions posed by this controversial event.

No comments:

Post a Comment