Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Boston Secession calls a time out


Jane Ring Frank in action: we won't be seeing this next season.

The grim news keeps rolling in. Last night I learned that Boston Secession, our most adventurous (and perhaps my favorite) local chorus, is taking a hiatus due to funding issues. Only a year ago, they seemed to be riding high: a new CD got raves, their audience was building, and they had plans to premiere an ambitious oratorio about the Holocaust, Testimony of Witnesses. But ah, what a difference a housing bubble makes! So we won't be seeing the smart, talented, funny Jane Ring Frank (above) directing her wonderful singers next fall; truly our loss, my friends. But something about this lady strikes me as indomitable, and so I have hope that a mere recession won't keep the Secession down for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment