Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why did I ever bother with these people . . .

I did check out a few other theatre-blog posts this morning.

And then wondered why I bothered. Once you have some distance on these people, it's hard to get re-excited about them.

Don Hall, for instance, was spanking his monkey, as usual (no, I'm not going to link to his cage), and throwing his poop in my general direction. I realize that Don's lonely, and that he thinks of junior-high insults as some kind of siren call, or maybe something more like "won't you come out and play?' But no, asshat, I won't come out and play. Just deal.

Elsewhere, the blogosphere remains its self-serving self. Scott Walters floated a rather penetrating critique of the academic style of playwriting (and the overrated Naomi Wallace in particular) here. But the blogosphere was not going to have any of that! (They paid good money for that degree!) Matt Freeman replied with a non sequitur here; his argument is essentially "Criticism is just wrong. The end." Uh-huh. But oddly enough, utterly chastened, the easily-confused Walters agrees here! Of course, he says; if I don't like the style that's being supported by the academic programs, I should just write my own play! And if I don't like the way the U.S. is being run, I should go found my own country! Criticism is wrong! D.I.Y.!

Zzzzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment