Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Today was MIThenge . . . a.k.a. "The Infinite Sunset"

The view down the Infinite Corridor during "MIThenge."

In mid-November and late January every year, the arc of the sun aligns with the central axis of MIT, my alma mater, sending a shaft of sunlight down the 825-ft.-long "Infinite Corridor," which opens out through Building 7 (every building is numbered at the Institute) onto 77 Mass. Ave, the lawns before Kresge Auditorium, and beyond that Institute's athletic fields.

And today was the day.  The Infinite Sunset occurred at 4:22 pm (above).

I think I saw my first Infinite Sunset in 1979 - 33 years ago.  Which I admit gives me some pause.  I don't often think in technical terms anymore, much less feel that strange thrill, from contact with the deep mechanics of the world, that nerdy events like the Infinite Sunset conjure.

But that's for me to work on!  For technical data on MIThenge, go here. The next Infinite Sunset should occur at the end of January 2013 (but generally the November ones are the ones to see).

No comments:

Post a Comment