Sunday, February 5, 2012

We could use a play about prison rape, for instance

I've gotten a few outraged emails, as I knew I would, about yesterday's rant regarding "gay plays."  But to the question one irritated reader posited, "What should we be writing plays about other than social injustice?," I'd like to add my voice to the rising chorus of outrage about incarceration in this country, and prison rape in particular. (I'm not always a fan of Adam Gopnik, but he did nail it here.) How, exactly, can we shed tears over the AIDS crisis while snickering at prisoners who are helplessly infected by rape in prison? How can Leno and Letterman make jokes about prison rape AT ALL? You know, sometimes I think to myself - if you want to find where the buried horror is in a society, just follow the jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment