Friday, April 30, 2010

Coming soon . . .


Leigh Barrett, Kerry A. Dowling and Mary Callanan share a brew in SpeakEasy's Great American Trailer Park Musical.

Yes, I know I still owe you my consideration of Conor McPherson's The Eclipse; I may get to that this weekend. That is if I have time between all the events I'm slated to see; this weekend is going to be a long one.

I kick-started it by checking out Theatre on Fire's version of Jordan Harrison's Act a Lady last night (you may have already read my blast of frustrated tweets about that as I was evacuated from the T last night; long story short - Jordan Harrison must be stopped!).

Tonight, however, I switch gears into classical mode with Handel and Haydn's "Bach Portrait" (Brandenburg No. 5, plus motets and cantatas), conducted by the wonderful Harry Christophers. Then tomorrow I'm off to the wilds of Lowell to catch one of my favorite local actresses, Karen MacDonald, in a triple play, The Blonde, the Brunette, and the Vengeful Redhead at Merrimack Rep. Sunday I return to town to kick back with SpeakEasy's The Great American Trailer Park Musical, featuring three leading ladies of our local musical stage, Leigh Barrett, Kerry A. Dowling and Mary Callanan (above). I'll also be dropping in on a Boston Ballet rehearsal of "Ultimate Balanchine," which opens next week.

But don't think the weekend's over! On Monday night the New Rep opens its steamin' production of Hot Mikado, with New Rep favorites Aimee Doherty and Cheo Bourne, and Tuesday I'll take in the final performance of Opera Boston's La Grande-Duchesse de GĂ©rolstein, the rarely-seen opera by Jacques Offenbach, featuring Stephanie Blythe, who just blew away Symphony Hall in the BSO's Elijah.

And then I'll take one night off before starting the whole process over again next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment